Study Abroad (free mover)
If you are a student from a foreign university which does not have a bilateral exchange agreement with Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (UC) and you want to apply to take courses at UC for one or two semesters as a Study Abroad (free mover) student, you can find all the details on how to apply here.
Through this modality, each UC credit costs USD$120. Considering that most of the courses at UC have 10 UC credits the cost per one 10 UC credit course taken will be USD$1200, and the final amount to be paid will depend on the amount of UC credits taken in one semester plus the Administration and services fee.
Administration and services
There is an additional payment of USD$300 per semester related to Administrative and Service-related costs (issuance of the Academic Certificate, use of computer labs and the UC Library Network).
Restricted areas of study
- Music: only theoretical courses available
- Medicine: only some technical courses within the areas of public health and clinical rotation. Dentistry, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Physical Therapy courses are not available for exchange students.
- Economics and Management Sciences: course available only to students fulfill the courses requirements.
- Psychology courses: available only to second to fourth-year students.
- Biological Sciences: Marine Biology courses not available.
- Arts courses: Arts courses are only available to students who come from Arts-related programs.
- Architecture: applicants must attach 2 letter-size summarized portfolios in PDF format to the Dropbox folder. The only available courses for exchange students are: “Taller de Proyectos” (for 1st to 3rd-year students) / “Ejercitacion” (for 4th to 5th-year students) / Elementary courses and “OPR” electives (2 max.). The following courses are NOT available to exchange students: “Aulas de Título” (Final Project) / “Taller de Investigación”, “Práctica de Obras” and “Práctica Profesional”. Slots are restricted and cannot be guaranteed. The School of Architecture reserves the right to refuse admission.
- Communications: Journalism courses are not available for exchange students.
- Sports Courses: students must bring their own equipment according to the sport of their choosing.
- Dentistry courses.
- Performing Arts: students who are interested registering for practical courses at the school of Performing Arts must attach a personal video showing a scene and a monologue in Spanish.
- International students must show a good mastery of Spanish. Students whose mother tongue is not Spanish must have approved at least four semesters of Spanish at their home university.
- The minimum required GPA for applying is 3.0 (or its equivalent).
- The students must be authorized by their home university to apply to the Study abroad in order for their application to be considered.
Online Application Dates
- 1st Semester (from the beginning of March to mid-July) Application deadline: October 30th of previous year.
- 2nd Semester (from the beginning of August to mid-December) Application Deadline: May 2nd of the current year.
In order for you to apply to the Study Abroad program, you need to comply with the following steps:
- Read the course restrictions that apply to your exchange program.
- Carefully read the following instructions before completing your application form:
- Students must fill in their application online in the following link.
- Once the application is properly filled in, click on “Send”. A new window will open where your application number will show. Here you will be able to retrieve your application confirmation as a PDF file.
- The system will automatically generate a form in PDF format with the information you submitted. Do not forget to have Acrobat Reader properly installed in your computer. If you do not have it, you can download it here.
- The application form must be signed by you and your home university.
- Within the next days after you have filled out the online application form you will be receiving an email with a Dropbox invitation with your name on it, please wait for our message. You will have to upload the following documents to the dropbox folder:
- Signed PDF Application Form
- Official Transcript of Records
- Authorization letter issued by the International Office of your home University.
- Spanish Proficiency Certificate corresponding to University Level (i.e. 4 approved semesters o its equivalent. This is required ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER OF SPANISH).
The information you submit through the online form will only be valid once we receive your application form together with the rest of the requested documents in your Dropbox folder.
4. Apply here!
First semester (March-July): results will be informed by email within November of the previous year.
Second semester (August-December): results will be informed by email within May of the current year.
UC organizes its academic year in two semesters:
- 1st Semester: from March to July
- 2nd Semester: from August to December
Academic Calendar – 1st Semester 2018
You can check the Academic Calendar corresponding to the 1st Semester 2018 by clicking here.
Academic Calendar – 2nd Semester 2017
You can check the Academic Calendar corresponding to the 2nd Semester 2017 by clicking here.